Unpacking: “Killing Us Softly 3”
Following our viewing and (brief) discussion of “Killing Us Softly 3” today, I’d like to leave a space open for you to share your thoughts on Ms. Kilbourne’s argument. What did you think? What would you add, or change?
I’ve included some resources and things to think about (below) but feel free to dive into this conversation in whatever way(s) you feel moved to.
Rhetorical Reading Strategies:
- Who is the author? What is the context for this “text”?
- Who do you think is the intended audience?
- What are her main points? What is her purpose?
- What “strategies and structures” build the piece?
- Do you think Kilbourne means to suggest that ONLY advertisements effect us?
- What support (evidence) does she offer for her assertions?
- What further support would you like to see?
- Where do you think there are logical fallacies? of what kind/type?
Questions I’m curious about:
- There IS a new version of this-“Killing us Softly 4” (2010). What do you think she changed? How would YOU change it, if delivering this to both men and women, on this campus, today?
- What do you think “feminism” means to Jean Kilbourne?